1. Найдите в правой колонке русские эквиваленты английских слов и словосочетаний:
1. mechanical engineer а. долгий срок службы
2. to deal (with) b. запустить в массовое производство
3. designing cars с. подвергать испытаниям
4. to put into mass production d. плавное сцепление
5. long service life e. отвечать современным требованиям
6. driving safety g. надежные тормоза и рулевое управление
7. to meet up-to-date demands j. инженер-механик
8. smooth-acting clutch f. иметь дело (с кем-л., чем-л.)
9. silent gearbox h. безопасность езды
10. dependable brakes and steering i. бесшумная коробка передач
11. to subject to tests k. конструирование автомобилей
2. Переведите на русский язык встречающиеся в тексте интернациональные слова:
mechanical, mechanism, specialist, industry, phase, technology, process, laboratory, test, fact, automobile, engineer, method, principle, corrosion, type, material, comfortable.
3. Прочтите текст и выполните следующие за ним упражнения:
1. Specialists in automobile industry deal with designing and manufacturing cars, so they should know that the production of the automobile comprises the following phases:
2) Working out the technology of manufacturing processes,
3) Laboratory tests,
4) Road tests,
5) Mass production (manufacturing).
2. Why is it necessary to know all these facts?
It is important to know them as before the automobile (car or truck) is put into mass production, it should be properly designed and the automobile must meet up-to-date requirements.
3. What are these requirements?
The automobile must have high efficiency, long service life, driving safety, ease of maintenance and pleasant appearance.
In order to obtain all these qualities engineers should develop up-to-date methods of designing cars, using new types of resistant to corrosion light materials. Also it is important to know computer science because it is intended to shorten the time between designing and manufacturing. Computers offer quick and optimal solutions of problems.
4. But before the car is put into mass production all its units and mechanisms are subjected to tests, first in the plant's laboratory, then the car undergoes a rigid quality control in road tests. Only then the car is put into mass production. Why are these tests required? What qualities are required of the automobile? The modern automobile must be rapid in acceleration, must have smooth acting clutch, silent gearbox, dependable brakes and steering system, as well as pleasant appearance. Also it must be comfortable and have all conveniences.
4. Переведите на русский язык в письменной форме абзацы 3 и 4.
1. What phases does the production of the automobile comprise?
2. What requirements must the automobile meet?
3. Why are cars subjected to road tests?
4. What qualities are required of the automobile?
5. Why is it important for the specialists in automobile industry to know computing methods?
6. Закончите предложения, выбрав соответствующий вариант окончания:
1. The cars are subjected to tests in order....
a) to shorten the time between designing and road manufacturing;
b) to meet up-to-date requirements;
c) to work out new technological processes.
2. The car must have the following units ....
a) high efficiency, long service life, driving safety and pleasant appearance;
3. The car must have the following qualities ... .
b) smooth acting clutch, silent gearbox,
dependable brakes and steering system.