1. Translate the text “Bank and its classes”.
Bank and its classes.
Bank an institution that deals in money and its substitutes and provides other financial services. Banks accept deposits and make loans and derive a profit from the difference in the interest rates. They also have the power to create money. The two major classes of banks are commercial and central banks. Commercial banks accept financial services that facilitate the exchange of funds among individuals and institutions. In addition to the profit derived from the difference in the interest rates, commercial banks charge fees for various services. Central banks are involved in the issue of money and maintain the country’s foreign currency reserves. Central banks maintain the accounts of other banks and supervise their activities. Central banks act as bankers to governments, as the designers of monetary and credit policies, and as lenders of last resort to commercial banks in the case of a financial crisis. Central banks also play a significant psychological role as guarantors of the monetary system. Central banks may be nationalized organizations and are subject government control, but some of them can have independence from governmental supervision.
2. Restore the word order in the questions that follow and answer them.
1) What meant by the term “bank“ is?
2) What banks do accept?
3) What banks make do?
4) What banks derive a profit do from?
5) What do power banks have?
6) What the two major classes of are banks?
7) What commercial banks accept do?
8) What do make commercial banks?
9) What commercial banks offer do?
10) What central banks are involved in?
11) What central banks do maintain?
12) What central banks supervise do?
13) What central banks do act as?
14) What role central banks do play?
15) Are subject to central banks government control or not?
3. Agree or disagree with the following statements.
1) Banks trades in money.
2) Banks gives various financial services.
3) Banks receive deposits.
4) Banks don’t make loans.
5) Banks derive a profit by skillfully deceiving people.
6) Commercial banks aid the exchange of funds among individuals and institutions.
7) Central banks act as bankers to organized crime.
8) Central banks act as the designers of default.
9) Central banks act as the designers of foreign policy.
10) Central banks act as lenders of last resort to counterfeiters.
11) Central banks play an important role as guarantors of the monetary system.
12) Central banks have the right to issue money.
13) Central banks keep the country’s foreign currency reserves.
14) Central banks back up the accounts of other banks.
15) Central banks oversee the activities of other banks.
16) Central banks may be private owned organization.
17) Central banks are subject to shadow ministers.
18) Central banks are totally dependent on their bank customers.
4. Translate the following words, phrases and statements from Russian into English.
Торговать; сберегательный вклад на неопределенный срок под процент; способствовать; денежные средства; начислять комиссионные; валютная политика; кредитная политика; последний кредитор в критической ситуации; денежная система; вклад в банк; ссуда; извлекать прибыль; процентная ставка.
1) Банк торгует деньгами и их заменителями.
2) Банк обеспечивает различные финансовые услуги.
3) Банк принимает депозиты.
4) Банки предоставляют займы.
5) Банки получают прибыль из разницы в процентных ставках.
6) Банки могут быть независимые от правительственного контроля.
5. Complete the following statements.
1) Bank deals in _
2) Bank provides _
3) Bank accepts _
4) Bank makes _
5) Banks derive _
6) Banks have _
7) The two major classes of banks are _
8) Commercial banks accept _
9) Commercial banks make _
10) Commercial banks offer _
11) Commercial banks charge _
12) Central bank is involved in _
13) Central banks maintain _
14) Central banks supervise _
15) Central banks act as _
16) Central banks play _
17) Central banks may _
18) Central banks are subject to _
19) Central banks can have _
6. Translate the text. European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
The European Bank, with its headquarters in London, was established in May 1990. It is the first international financial institution of the post – Cold War period. Its purpose is to foster the transition towards open market oriented economies and to promote private and entrepreneurial initiative in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe. The European Bank will endeavour to help the economies of these countries integrate into the international economy, with particular concern for strengthening democratic institutions, respect for human rights and for environmentally sound policies. In fulfilling its purpose, the Bank performs a wide range of functions designed to assist countries with operations to implement structural economic reforms, including demonopolization, decentralization and privatization. The European Bank has the following departments: merchant banking (merchant bank – a bank that provides banking services for business), development banking, finance, personnel and administration, project evaluation, secretary general, chief economist, communications and press, internal audit. The Bank has 59 members: 57 countries and two institutions – the European investment Bank (EIB) and the Economic Community (EC), known as the European Economic Community or Common Market.
7. Restore the word order in the questions that follow answers them.
1) When the European Bank was established?
2) Where its headquarters is?
3) What purpose is?
4) What the European Bank will endeavour to do?
5) What the European Bank’s requirements to integrate economy are?
6) What the European Bank performs in fulfilling does its purpose?
7) What departments the European Bank does have?
8) What members the European Bаnk have does?
8. Agree or disagree with following statements.
1) The European Bank’s headquarters is in Paris.
2) The European Bank was founded in 1980.
3) The European Bank’s ambition is to favour the transition to a planned economy.
4) The European Bank’s aim is to promote business initiative.
5) The European Bank’s will help less developed countries join into the international economy.
6) Industrial nations should strengthen democratic institutions.
7) Commonwealth countries must respect human rights.
8) The countries of European Union have to conduct environmentally sound policies.
9) The European Bank brings the underdeveloped countries to ruin with privatization.
12) The European Bank assists the open market oriented economies with monopolization.
13) The European Bank lends the open market oriented economies a helping hand with centralization.
9. Translate the following words, phrases and statements from Russian into English.
относящийся к борьбе с загрязнением окружающей среды
1) Европейский банк реконструкции и развитии был учрежден в 1990 году.
2) Его цель состоит в том, чтобы благоприятствовать переходу к рыночной экономике.
3) Банк осуществляет множество функций.
4) Банк помогает странам осуществлять приватизацию.
5) Банк имеет множество отделов.
6) Банк предоставляет долгосрочные кредиты развивающимся странам.
10. Complete the following statements.
1) The European Bank has its headquarters in _2) It was established _. 3) It is the first _. 4) Its purpose is _. 5) The European Bank will endeavour _. 6) Its particular concern is _. 7) The Bank performs _. 8) These functions are designed to assist _. 9) The European Bank has _ departments and _ members.
11. Are these sentences right or wrong? Correct the ones which are wrong.
Examples: How long have Bob and Alice been married? RIGHT
I know Bob for five years. WRONG – have known
1. Sue and Alan are married since July.
2. It is raining all day.
3. How long has George been unemployed?
4. Have you always been living in this house?
5. How long has Ken a beard?
6. How long do you known Ann?
7. She has been ill for quite a long time.
12. This time you have to write questions with how long?
Examples: Jim is learning Chinese. How long has he been learning Chinese?
I known Bob. How long have you known Bob?
1. My sister is married.
2. Boris is on holiday.
3. I live in Glasgow.
4. It is snowing.
5. Jack smokes.
6. I known about her problem.
7. Lack and Jill are looking for a flat.
8. Diana teaches English in Germany.
9. Dennis is in love with Margaret.
10. Colin has a car.
13. In this exercise you have to read a sentence and then write another sentence with since or for.
Example: I known Bob. (For five years) I have known Bob for five years.
Jack lives in Bolton. (since he was born)
Bill is unemployed. ( since April )
Ann has a bad cold. (For the last few days)
I want to go to the moon. (Since I was a child)
5. My brother is studying languages at university. (For two years)
Tim and Jane are working in Sheffield. (Since February)
7. My cousin is in the army. (Since he was 17)
8. They are waiting for us. (For half an hour)
14. In this exercise you have to write questions with how long and when.
Example: It is raining. (How long / it / rain?) How long has it been raining?
(When / it / start / raining?) When did it start raining?
Ann is learning Italian.
(How long / she / learn / Italian?)
(When / she / begin / learning Italian?)
I know Tom.
(How long / you / know / Tom?)
(When / you / first / meet / Tom?)
Bob and Alice arc married.
(How long / they / be / married?)
(When / they / get / married?)
15. This time you have to make a new sentence beginning in the way shown.
Examples: I known tom. I first met him six months ago. I have known him for six months.
It’s been raining since 2 o’clock. It started raining at two o’clock.
Tom’s ill. He became ill three days ago. He has_
We have been married for five years. We got_
Jim has a beard. He grew it ten years ago. He has _
He has been in France for three weeks. He went _
He has had his new car since February. He bought _
16. In this exercise you have to read the situation and then write a sentence. Use the verbs given in brackets. Read the example carefully first.
Example: Ten minutes ago Tom lost his key. Now he has it in his hand.
(Lose / find) Tom lost his key but now he has found it.
I lost a lot of weight but now I am too heavy again.
(Lose weight / put on weight) I _ but now I _
She went to Australia but now she is back in Britain again.
(Go / come back) She _ but now _.
Last year Kevin bought a car. Now it belongs to someone else.
(Buy / sell) _
The police arrested the man but now he is at home again.
(Arrest / release) _
Bill cut his hair. Now it is long again.
(Cut / grow) _
6. The prisoner escaped from the prison. Now he is back in prison.
(Escape / be caught) _
17. In this exercise you have to put the verb into the correct form, present perfect (I have done) or past simple (I did).
Examples: I have lost (lose) my key. I can’t find it anywhere.
Did you see (you / see) the film on television last night?
1. Jill _ (Buy) a new cat two weeks ago.
2. His hair is very short. He _ (Have) a haircut.
3. Last night I _(Arrive) home at half past twelve. I _ (Have) a bath and then I _(Go) to bed.
_ (You / visit) many museums when you were in Paris?
My bicycle isn’t here any more. Somebody _ (Take) it.
_ (You / give) up smoking?
I _ (Not / eat) anything yesterday because I _ (Not / feel) hungry.
8. Why _ (Jim / not / want) to play tennis last Friday?
9. The car looks very clean. _ (You / wash) it?
10. Brian: Hello, Susan. Is Alan here?
Susan: No, I’m Afraid he _ ( go ) out.
Brian: Oh, what a pity! When exactly _ (He / go) out?
Susan: About ten minutes ago.
18. In this exercise you have to read a situation and then write a sentence.
Example: The two boys came into the house. One had a black eye and other had a
Cut lip. (They / fight) They had been fighting.
Tom was watching television. He was feeling very tired.
(He / study / hard all day) He _.
When I walked into the room, it was empty. But there was a smell of cigarettes.
(Somebody / smoke / in the room) Somebody _.
When Marry came back from the beach, she looked very red from the sun.
(She / lie / in the sun too long) _.
The two boys came into the house. They had a football and they were both very tired.
(They / play / football) _.
Ann woke up in the middle of the night. She was frightened and she didn’t know where she was. (She / dream) _.
19. Complete these sentences using the most suitable expressions from the box. Put the verb into the correct form where necessary.
have a baby
have a swim
have a nice time
have a bath
have a party
have a chat
have a good flight
have a rest
have a cigarette
have a look
have a nice meal
Jack likes to keep fit, so he _ every day.
Tom and Ann have just come back from the restaurant. You say:
Hello, did you _?
We _ last Friday. It was great – we invited lots of people.
How often _? Not often. I don’t like washing.
Suzanne gave up her job six months ago when she had a baby.
Excuse me, can I _ at your newspaper, please?
You meet Tom at airport. He has just arrived. You say:
Hello, Tom! Did you _?
Where’s Jim? He _ in his room. He is very tired.
I met Ann in the street yesterday. We stopped and _.
I haven’t seen you since you came back from holiday. _?
I don’t usually smoke. But I felt nervous, so _.
20. This time you have to write sentences to explain each situation. Use the words in brackets to make your sentences.
Example: I can’t find George anywhere. I wonder where he is.
( he might / go / shopping )
( he could / play / tennis)
Look! Sue’s going out. I wonder where she’s going.
(She may go / to the theatre)
(She could / go / to a party)
Why didn’t Tom answer the doorbell? I’m sure he was in the house at the time.
(He may / go / to bed early)
(He might not / hear / the bell)
(He could / be / in the bath)
How do you think the fire started?
(Someone may / drop / a cigarette)
(It could / be / an electrical fault)
I wonder where Tom was going when you saw him.
(He might / go / to work)
(He may / go / shopping)
George didn’t come to the party. I wonder why not.
(He might / have / to go somewhere else)
(He may not / know / about it)