Английский язык дает преимущества тем, кто его хорошо знает.
Контрольные работы выполняют обычно студенты вузов.
1. Прочтите текст и ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. What is the area of Canada?
2. What are the official languages in Canada?
1. Canada occupies a great part of the North American Continent. The area is about 9 million square kilometres and it is the second largest country in the world.
2. Most of Northern Canada has subarctic and arctic climate. Long cold winters last 8-11 months and summers are very short. But in the South the climate is temperate.
3. There are many lakes in Canada. The biggest of them are the Great Lakes which are on the US-Canada border. Niagara Falls attract a lot of tourists from all over the world.
4. Canada is a highly developed industrial and agricultural country. It is a world leader in the production of nickel, asbestos and other minerals. Canada has an ideal climate for growing wheat and barley. It is among the world's leading wheat producers and is second in the export of wheat.
5. The population of Canada is 24 million people. English and French are the official languages of Canada and have equal status and equal rights. Canada is a federation of ten provinces and two northern territories.
Ottawa is the capital of Canada with the population of 800,000 people.
2. Переведите в письменной форме абзацы 1, 4, 5.
3. Найдите герундий и переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. Visiting Niagara Falls made a great impression on us.
2. We heard of his planning a travel to Canada.
3. Many farmers in Canada are engaged in growing wheat.
4. Выберите требуемую форму глагола и переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. If the weather is fine, we (will go, would go) to Niagara Falls.
2. If I went to Canada, I (will visit, would visit) its numerous National Parks.
3. If he (knew, had known) about your plans, he would have joined you.
5. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на согласование времен:
1. The student said that he had visited Canada two months before.
2. The teacher asked the students what was Canada' s political status.
3. Everyone knew that Canada had two official languages.
6. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на причастия.
1. Standing on the shore of Lake Ontario, Toronto is the largest city in Canada.
2. Toronto has a lot of fine modern buildings, City Hall being the most famous.
3. At night the Parliament Building is illuminated by thousands of lights, creating a view of a fairy-tale palace.
7. а) Прочтите и переведите текст. Выполните задания, которые следуют за ним:
Sometimes it is more convenient to use compressed oxygen. It is stored in special insulated tanks and delivered in pipes to the work sites.
Oxygen is used in breathing apparatus. Airmen and mountain climbers, miners at rescue teams, firemen entering smoke-filled buildings, patients at hospitals need breathing apparatus badly.
б) Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на согласование времен:
1. The teacher asked the students how oxygen was obtained in industry.
2. He said that he had finished the experiment by two o'clock.
3. He asked me if I would go to the scientific conference.
в) Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на причастия:
1. The air surrounding the earth is a mixture of well-known gases.
2. Mendeleev arranged the elements in order of their atomic weight starting from the lowest.
3. The elements in the Periodic System fall into seven periods, the first period containing one element only — hydrogen.
г) Вставьте предлоги, требуемые по смыслу:
1. Oxygen was discovered ... 1774 ... Joseph Priestly.
2. He obtained it... heating mercuric oxide.
3. It smells ... chlorine.
4. Oxygen is used to produce iron ... ore ... a blast furnace.
5. It gives a flame ... a temperature ... about 3,000 °C.
6. Oxygen is also used... cutting and welding metal sections.
7. It is delivered ... pipes ... the work sites.
8. Patients ... hospitals need breathing apparatus.
д) Ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. Where is compressed oxygen stored?
2. In what apparatus is oxygen used?
3. Why do firemen need breathing apparatus?
4. Who else needs breathing apparatus?