Контрольные работы для студентов
Контрольные выполняют студенты Москвы и Санкт-Петербурга, Самары и Нижнего Новгорода, Челябинска и Краснодара. Контрольные необходимы для повышения уровня знаний.
1. Прочтите и устно переведите с 1 -го по 3-й абзацы текста. Перепишите и письменно переведите 2-й и 3-й абзацы.
D.I. MENDELYEEV (1834 - 1907)
1. A Russian name appeared in 1964 on the honorary board of science at Brigeport University, USA: Mendelyeev was added to the list of the greatest geniuses - Euclid, Archimedes, Copernicus, Galilei, Newton and Lavoisier. D.I. Mendelyeev, the explorer of nature, is the greatest chemist of the world. The Mendelyeev system has served for almost 100 years as a key of discovering new elements and has retained its key capacity until now.
2. D.I. Mendelyeev was the fourteenth, and last child of the Director of the Gymnasium at Tobolsk. At 16 he was taken by his mother to St Petersburg to seek higher education. He entered the Pedagogical Institute where his father had also studied. In 1856 he took a degree in chemistry and in 1859 he was sent abroad for two years for further training. He returned to St. Peterburg in 1861 as Professor of Chemistry.
3. In 1869 Mendelyeev began to write a great textbook of chemistry, known in its English translation as the "Principles of Chemistry". In compiling this, he tried to find some system of classifying the elements - some sixty in all then known - whose properties he was describing. This led him to formulate the Periodic Law, which earned him lasting international fame. He presented it verbally to the Russian Chemical Society in October 1868 and published it in February 1869.
4. In this paper lie set out clearly his discovery that if the elements are arranged in order of their atomic weights, chemically related elements appear at regular intervals. The greatness of Mendelyeev's achievement lies in the feet that he had discovered a generalization that not only unified аn enormous amount of existing information but pointed the way to further progress.
2. Прочтите 4-й абзац текста и вопрос к нему. Из приведенных вариантов ответа укажите номер предложения, содержащего правильный ответ на поставленный вопрос:
What can you say about greatness of Mendelyeev's discovery?
1. The greatness of Mendelyeev's achievement lies in the fact that his Periodic Table pointed the way to further progress in chemistry.
2. Meudelyeev had discovered several new elements.
3. Mendelyeev created the system of classifying chemical elements.
3. Перепишите следующие предложения; подчеркните в каждом из них глагол-сказуемое и определите его видо-временную форму и залог. Переведите предложения на русский язык. В разделе (б) обратите внимание на перевод пассивных конструкций.
а) 1. Today scientists are still looking for the substance as a source of energy.
2. The Mendelyeev system has served for almost 100 years as a key to discovering new elements.
б) 1. Synthetic rubber products were developed between 1914 and 1930s.
2. The intensity of this process is influenced by many factors.
4. Перепишите следующие предложения; подчеркните Participle I и Participle II и установите функции каждого из них, т. е. укажите, является ли оно определением, обстоятельством или частью глагола-сказуемого. Переведите предложения на русский язык
1. Molecular crystals are solids constructed of molecules held together by relatively weak forces.
2. A body moving with a certain velocity carries within itself the kinetic energy of motion.
3. While absorbing the energy of cosmic rays the upper atmosphere becomes radiactive.
4. Unless property treated the metal must not be applied for space technology.
5. Перепишите следующие предложения; подчертите в каждом из них модальный глагол или его эквивалент. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. Energy can exist in many forms and each form can be transformed into the other.
2. The computers should become an integral part of the organization of industrial processes of all types.
3. These metal parts had to be subjected to X-ray examination.
4. The chemists may use the reactor to analyse various substances for their exact composition.