Контрольные для студентов
Студенты часто выполняют контрольные работы, в том числе контрольные работы по английскому языку.
1. Прочтите текст и ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. What did Mendeleev discover?
2. What fields of science do his works embrace?
1. D. I. Mendeleev was born in 1834 at Tobolsk in the family of the director of the town gymnasium. He received his secondary education at Tobolsk and then entered the Petersburg Pedagogical Institute. After graduation he worked as a teacher for two years.
2. In 1859 he presented his thesis, received his master's degree and went abroad on a two-year scientific commission. Upon his return to Russia he was elected professor of the Petersburg University, where he carried on his scientific and pedagogical activity for 23 years.
3. In 1906 he issued a book under the title Contribution to the Knowledge of Russia which contained thoughts of the further development of Russian industry and economy. The greatest result of Mendeleev's creative effort was the discovery of the Periodic Table of Elements.
4. One of Mendeleev's prominent works is his book Principles of Chemistry in which inorganic chemistry was for the first time explained from the standpoint of the Periodic Law.
5. A great scientist, Mendeleev devoted his life and energies to the progress of his country. His works embrace various fields of science — chemistry, physics, physical chemistry, geophysics.
2. Переведите в письменной форме абзацы 1, 2, 4.
3. Заполните пропуски соответствующей активной или пассивной формой глагола и переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. At first, the Periodic Law (was received, received) very coldly by other scientists.
2. In 1893 Mendeleev (was appointed, appointed) Director of the Bureau of Weights and Measures.
3. B. Franklin (was founded, founded) the first public library and the University of Pennsylvania.
4. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на инфинитивные обороты:
1. The year 1895 is considered to be the date of the invention of theradio.
2. We consider Mendeleev to be a great Russian scientist.
3. Manchester is known to be the centre of cotton industry.
5. Определите функции инфинитива и переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. At that time Newton began to think about construction of an astronomical telescope.
2. They made some experiments to prove their theory.
3. The procedure to be followed is described below.
6.Употребите глагол-сказуемое в будущем времени, используя эквиваленты модальных глаголов:
1. Не must illustrate this law by several experiments.
2. They may carry out these experiments at the laboratory.
3. She can study chemistry at the university.
7. Заполните пропуски неопределенными местоимениями some, any, no:
1. You must dissolve (some, any, no) salt in water.
2. Tsiolkovsky had (some, any, no) money to finance his experiments.
3. Did Tsiolkovsky make (some, any, no) experiments with the centrifuge?
8. а) Прочтите и переведите текст. Выполните задания, которые следуют за ним.
A dynamo is a machine which makes electricity when it is made to rotate at a high speed. It is often driven by a turbine, which may be made to rotate by steam pressure. This machinery is then called a turbo-generator. A building which houses a turbo-generator is called a power or generating station.
Most of the world's electricity for domestic and industrial use is made or generated in power stations.
б) Заполните пропуски соответствующей по смыслу активной или пассивной формой глагола и переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. The smallest piece of any substance (called, is called) an atom.
2. A molecule (made, is made) up of small particles called atoms.
3. We (use, are used) a lot of electrical devices at home.
в) Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на инфинитивные обороты:
1. The atom is said to be neutral when the two charges are equal.
2. We believe him to be a good electrician.
3. Electric current is believed to be the flow of electrons.
г) Ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. What is a dynamo?
2. What is a dynamo driven by?
3. What is a power station?
4. Where is most of the world's electricity generated?