Контрольные работы выполняют учащиеся в Москве и Санкт-Петербурге, Краснодаре и Красноярске, Тольятти и Симферополе. Контрольные работы дают студентам хорошую возможность проверить уровень знаний по английскому языку.
1. Прочитайте текст и ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. Every morning, billionaire Milton Petrie walked from his New York apartment and bought a newspaper from the ragged old man on the street corner. One morning the man wasn’t there. Petrie learned that he was very ill in the city hospital. Immediately he paid his hospital bill and later, when the man died, paid for his funeral.
2. The old man was just one of many people that Milton Petrie helped with his money. Whenever he read about personal disasters in his newspaper Petrie sent generous cheques, especially to the families of policemen or fireman injured at work. He also sent cheques to a mother who lost five children in the fire, and a beautiful model, whose face was cut in a knife attack. It cost him millions of dollars, but he still had millions left. He said that he was lucky in business and he wanted to help those less fortunate than himself. “The nice thing is, the harder I work, the more money I make, and the more people I can help.”
3. Milton Petrie died in 1994, when he was 92. His will was 120 pages long because he left $ 150 million to 383 people. His widow, Carroll, his fourth and last wife, said his generosity was a result of poverty of his early years. His family was poor but kindhearted. His father was a Russian immigrant, who became a policeman, but he never arrested anyone, he was too kind. He couldn’t ever give a parking ticket.
4. Henrietta (Hetty) Green was a very spoilt, only child. She was born in Massachusetts, USA, in 1835. Her father was a millionaire businessman. Her mother was often ill, and so from the age of two her father took her with him to work and taught her about stocks and shares. At the age of six she started reading the daily financial newspaper and she opened her own bank account.
5. Her father died when she was 21 and inherited $7.5 million. She went to New York and invested on Wall Street. Hetty saved every penny, eating in the cheapest restaurants for 15 cents. She became one of the richest and most hated women in the world. She was called “The Witch of Wall Street”. At 33 she married Edward Green, a multimillionaire, and had two children, Ned and Sylvia.
6. Hetty’s meanness was legendary. She always argued about prices in shops. She walked to the local grocery store to buy broken cookies (biscuits), which were much cheaper, and to get a free bone for her much-loved dog, Dewey. Once she lost a two-cent stamp and spent the night looking for it . She never bought clothes and always wore the same long, ragged black skirt. Worst of all, when her son Ned fell and injured his knee, she refused to pay for a doctor and spent hours looking for free medical help. In the end Ned’s leg was amputated.
7. When she died in 1916 she left her children $ 100 million (worth $ 9.3 billion today). Her daughter built a hospital with her money.
1. How did Milton and Hetty become so wealthy?
2. What was the meanest thing Hetty did?
3. Why did Milton like making a lot of money?
4. Who had the happier life? Milton or Hetty?
2. Переведите в письменной форме абзацы 2, 3, 6.
3. Напишите предложения в вопросительной, а затем в отрицательной форме и переведите их на русский язык:
1. The students were in the Russian Museum.
2. I am still working at my report.
3. I have known him for three years.
4. Last summer we lived in the country.
5. He writes letters every day.
4. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в требующемся времени.
1. When morning came, the storm already (to stop), but the snow still (to fall). 2. Yesterday by eight o’clock he (to finish) all his homework. 3. When I (to come) to his place at nine, he (to read). 4. I (to wait) for permission to go abroad for already three weeks, but I (not to receive) the visa yet. 5. Everybody ( to be ) at the door of the museum, but my friend (not yet to come).
5. Заполните пропуски соответствующими предлогами по смыслу, где это необходимо.
1. I get up … seven o’clock or … a quarter past seven. 2. … Sunday I usually get up … nine o’clock or half past nine. 3. But last Sunday I slept very long and got up only … noon. 4. He was an excellent pupil, and the teacher never complained … him. 5. The school year begins … the first of September. 6. I like to go to the park … autumn.
6. Переведите на английский язык.
1. в пять часов
2. в воскресенье
3. на этой неделе
5. с 1998 года
6. через час
7. Переведите предложения на английский язык, употребляя глаголы в нужном времени.
1. Я сижу в парке на скамейке и кормлю птиц.
2. Если её не будет завтра дома, оставьте ей записку.
3. Я уже сделал свои уроки.
4. Они играют в волейбол с трёх часов.
5. Мы знаем друг друга уже четыре года.
6. Мы очень рады вас видеть. Мы вас ждали целый месяц.