Английский язык дает преимущества тем, кто его хорошо знает и умеет использовать.
Контрольные выполняют обычно студенты вузов.
1.Прочтите текст и ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. What is the population of Great Britain?
2. What region is called "Black Country"?
1. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK) is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The area of the UK is 244,000 sq km and its population is 57 million people.
2. Great Britain has a maritime climate. British winters are mild. Summers are cold and rainy. Fogs often occur in autumn and in winter.
3. Most people live in cities and towns. Great Britain is a country of numerous cities. Birmingham is one of the largest cities in the country. It is well known for its high-quality steels, cars, aircraft, machinery and electrical engineering equipment.
4. Great Britain is a highly developed industrial country. It is a great producer of coal and steel. Great Britain has shipbuilding, machinebuilding, automobile industry, chemicals, textiles and others. The industries are concentrated in the central part of the country. This is the so-called "Black Country". South-eastern England has less rain, more sun and more fertile soil. This part of the country is an old commercial and argicultural region and is called "Green England" for its fields.
5. The United Kingdom is a constitutional monarchy. The monarch has very little power and can only reign with the support of Parliament. Parliament consists of the House of Commons and the House of Lords.
2. Переведите в письменной форме абзацы 1, 4.
3. Найдите герундий и переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. We did not know of their going to Great Britain.
2. My friend was proud of being a student of Oxford University.
3. After graduating from university he got an interesting job in Glasgow.
4. Выберите требуемую по смыслу форму глагола и переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. If I go to London I (will call, would call) you up.
2. If he had money he (would go, would have gone) to Great Britain.
3. If he (were not busy, had not been busy) last week, he would have attended the conference.
5. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на согласование времен:
1. I knew that she had gone to Great Britain two weeks before.
2. We asked her what places of interest she would visit in London.
3. She answered that she was a student of London University.
6. Найдите причастные обороты и переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. Being a highly developed industrial country Great Britain exports motor-cars, aircraft, electric apparatus and other items.
2. There are about 1000 monuments inside the Westminster Abbey commemorating the lives of famous poets and statesmen.
3. There are many rivers in Great Britain, the Severn being the longest in the country.
7. а) Прочтите и переведите текст. Выполните задания, которые следуют за ним.
Oxygen is the most abundant of 104 elements. It was discovered in 1774 by Joseph Priestly, who obtained it by heating mercuric oxide. In industry oxygen is obtained by fractional distillation of liquid air.
Oxygen is a colourless gas. It smells slightly of chlorine. It is denser than air and soluble in water. Oxygen doesn't burn but supports burning.
Oxygen is used to produce iron from ore in a blast-furnace and convert iron into steel. It produces a higher furnace temperature and gives a flame with a temperature of about 3,000°. This flame melts steel easily. Oxygen is also used for cutting and welding metal sections.
б) Найдите герундий и переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. Oxygen can form oxides by combining with metals.
2. The students began making the experiments with oxygen.
3. There are different ways of obtaining oxygen.
в) Выберите требуемую форму глагола и переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. If you lived in London you (will drive, would drive) your car on the left-hand side.
2. If I had time last week I (would carry out, would have carried out) the experiment.
3. They (will do, would do) it, if they have the necessary material.
г) Напишите шесть вопросов к тексту, которые начинаются следующими словами: When? How? Is ...? Does ...? What... for?