Контрольные по английскому
Мы советуем решать как можно больше контрльных работ. Контрольные помогают повторять пройденные темы. Контрольные работы по английскому языку обычно имеют не меньше трех заданий.
Задание № 1: Определите по грамматическим признакам, какой частью речи является слово с окончанием -s, т.е. служит ли оно:
а) показателем 3-го лица, единственного числа в Present Indefinite;
б) признаком множественного числа существительного;
в) признаком притяжательного падежа имени существительного;
г) сокращенной формой глагола «to be» или «to have» в Present Indefinite.
Переведите предложения на русский язык.
He lectures on history. Он читает лекции по истории.
lectures - глагол, 3 л. ед.ч., Present Indefinite.
1. My brother’s sons are students.
2. The « Big Ben» weighs 13.5 tons.
3. Hyde Park covers 360 acres.
4. He likes collecting stamps.
5. It’s thundering.
1. Most of London places are to the north of the river Thames.
2. It’s Greek to me.
3. Pat’s relatives live in Leeds.
4. There’s a fine picture on the wall.
5. She likes to dance, to sing songs and to go out parties.
1. London exports a great variety of goods.
2. Last month I read a very interesting book on London’s history.
3. The inhabitants of London are very fond of their city.
4. He’s got a good collection of records.
5. I want to introduce him to my daughter`s friends.
Задание № 2: Переведите на русский язык предложения, обращая внимание на степени сравнения.
1. One of the most famous buildings in London is St. Paul’s Cathedral.
2. The longer is night, the shorter is the day.
3. The longest day of the year is the 21st of June.
4. The days in winter are not so long as in summer.
5. There are as many cars and buses in this street as in the centre of the city.
1. It’s much too hot for me to drink.
2. I`m not strong enough to carry these bags.
3. The coldest place on Earth is the Pole of Cold, Antarctica.
4. Sally is five minutes younger than Susan.
5. The more we study, the less we know.
1. I`m not quick enough to catch the balls.
2. It`s much too hot in here.
3. The fastest airliner is Concord.
4. The less we know, the less we forget.
5. Today TV is the most important thing in our lives.
Задание № 3: Переведите предложения на русский язык. Подчеркните местоимения и определите их вид.
1. At some of the London Underground Stations there are lifts, others have escalators.
2. Any student of our group can speak on the history of London.
3. They have known each other for two years.
4. The export of coal from this country decreased last year.
5. What’s happened?
1. I’m not pleased with myself.
2. He has some relatives in Paris.
3. Is there anything on the desk?
4. They haven't seen each other for ages.
5. What’s your favourite film?
1. I’ve cut myself.
2. There`s somebody at home.
3. This book is mine and that one is yours.
4. Who did you meet there?
5. He hasn`t much work to do today.
Задание № 4: Заполните пропуски предлогами или наречиями, где необходимо.
А. Mr. Foster is a young man. He is married and has two children. He likes playing cricket and football _ his local club and works _ an office. He usually has lunch _ a small restaurant _ his office.
Mr. Foster’s office is not very large. There`s a desk _ it and some chairs. _ the desk there is a shelf _ books and in the centre _ the room there is a flower near it. _ the walls _his room there are some pictures and a map.
_ his desk there`s a box _ which there are some old Roman coins; nobody uses them for money now. Mr. Foster collects them.
B. My grandfather has a room all to himself. It’s _ the end _ a long hall away from our
rooms. Mother says it is good _ him to be alone because it gives him time _ himself. But I don`t understand why he wants to sit _ himself _ his chair _ the middle _ the room. My grandfather calls me Pete though I`m a six-year old girl, because he says I`m smart as any boy. I like to come _ my granddad`s room before I go _ the bedroom for night.
C. I already know one _ my neighbours, an old lady Mrs. Jones. Her house is across the street _mine. Her husband comes _ Finland, he`s Finnish, but he speaks very good English. They sometimes invite me _ a cup __of tea, and I like to have a quiet evening at their place. Mrs. Jones is a wonderful cook and a good housewife. She keeps her house in perfect order. _ other neighbours I know there the Thomsons. They are also _ the U.S.A. They are _ thirty, very friendly and sociable.
Задание № 5: Заполните пропуски артиклями, где это необходимо, переведите текст.
А. We are at _ English wedding. _ bride, _ groom, __guests and __relatives are standing outside _ house. _ bride is wearing _ long white dress and is having some blue flowers in her left hand. _ groom is wearing _ traditional morning suit and is having _ top hat in his right hand. They are all smilling, because they are very happy. In _ few minutes they are going to get into __Rolls-Royce and drive to a restaurant for _ celebration.
B. At _restaurant they are going to eat a big cake and drink __ champagne. They will be opening all __ presents. Some people will be making __ speeches and both of the mothers will be crying. The guests will be dancing, telling jokes, singing songs and wishing the bride and the groom __ happiness.
C. It was __ Sunday. I never get up early on __ Sundays. I sometimes stay in __ bed untill lunchtime. Last Sunday I got up very late. I looked out of the window, it was dark outside. “What a day!” I thought. “It’s raining again.” Just then a telephone rang. It was my aunt Lucy. “I’m at _ station. I’ll come to see you.” “But I’m still having __ breakfast,” I said. “What are you doing,” she asked. “I’m having __ breakfast,” I repeated. “Dear me!” she said. “Do you always get up so late? It’s one o’clock!”
They are going to spend their __ honeymoon on __ Hawaii. They are going to be happy for ever and have a lot of children.
Задание № 6: Поставьте глаголы, указанные в скобках, в нужном времени. Укажите, как называется время.
1. Who (knock) at the door?
2. When her father (come) in she (sit) before a red tea-table, finishing a very good tea.
3. Is he (be) a handsome boy?
4. Don’t ring her up at 12 o’clock. She (write) her composition then.
5. When we (take) our exams we (have) a holiday.
6. What you both (do) at 7 o’clock yesterday?
7. Jane (be) on her way to meet her mother whom she (not to see) for many years.
8. If he (come), I (give) him this message.
9. I don’t (know) this man. I never (meet) him.
1. I (be) at home, if you (need) anything.
2. What you (do) Tom? I (draw). Let me see what you drawing (draw).
3. He (be) the capitain of a ship which (sail) that night to Moscow.
4. While the water (heat), Mr. Parker (begin) sweeping the floor.
5. He (not to walk) much.
6. Where’s Nick? He just (go) out.
7. His wife (be) not in. She (go) out an hour before.
8. By the time you (finish) cooking they (do) their work.
9. At this time tomorrow the boys of our group (play) football.
1. Mark (see) the picture of Nelly in the morning paper while he (have) coffee.
2. We (drink) coffee every morning.
3. I hope it (stop) snowing by tomorrow morning.
4. Why that man (stand) in the middle of the road?
5. Doctor Kent (be) English, though he (live) in America for 30 years
6. And, smiling to himself, he (begin) to make plans, fantastic plans for the future.
7. When we (“arrive”) in the city, it probably (be) rain.
8. Don’t you (know) what the story is about? No, I (not to read) it.
9. She (be) still here tomorrow if you decide (to ring) her up.
Задание № 7: Ответить письменно на вопросы. (на англ.яз)
1. What is your name (surname)?
2. How old are you?
3. When were you born?
4. Where were you born?
5. In what family were you born?
6. Where do you live?
7. When did you enter and leave school?
8. Did you make good progress at school?
9. What were your favourite subjects?
10. What did you do after school studies? What were you fond of ?
11. What is your hobby now?
12. What’s your occupation?
13. Did you serve in the army?
14. Why did you decide to enter the University?
15. What’s your future profession? Why did you choose it?
16. How many people are there in your family? How old are they?
17. What are their jobs?
18. I am sure your family is friendly. Do you agree with me? Why?
Задание № 8: Заполните регистрационную форму.(на анг.яз)
1. First name
3. Place of birth.
4. Country ( you live in )
7. Occupation (job):
8. Married / single/ divorced/ widow(er)/
9. Children`s name(s)
10. Wife’s/ husband’s name
11. Wife’s/ husband’s occupation
12. Your hobby
13. What kind of job would you like to have
Задание № 9: Перевести письменно тексты: a) C. J. London; b) A. O. Henry;
c) T. Dreiser.
Jack London, the famous American novelist and writer, was born in San Fransisco, California. The family was very poor, and speaking of his childhood, the writer said later that those were the hungriest years in his life. When the boy was eight, he learned to read, and read everything he could get. He borrowed books from the public library and spend all his free time with a book. He began to work very early at the age of 9. In the morning he delivered newspapers and went to school. After school he delivered evening editions. At weekends he worked as a porter at a hotel.
After leaving a grammar school at the age of 13, he continued working as a newspaper boy and did other small jobs because he had to feed his family. When Jack was a boy, he dreamed of being a salor and now, when he had a little free time, he spent it near the sea. On one of such days he was offered work as a salor on board of a ship sailing to Japan. In a year he came back to San Fransisco. It was at that period that his first story was published. A San Fransisco newspaper offered a prize for a story, Jack sent his story and was awarded the first prize.
Later he decided to continue his education and after three months of study entered the
University of California. But he spent there only a semester because his family needed his help. He decided to find a new job and at the same time to try his luck in literature.
Working day and night he wrote poetry, essays and short stories. He sent them to
magazines, but nothing was published.
Gold was found in Alaska at that time and, so London went there. He hoped to become rich enough to devote himself to literature. He worked there for a year and found the heroes of his stories, strong and brave people.
When he returned home in 1898 he had to take different jobs again and at the same time he continued to write. In 1898 his story « To the Man of Trail» was published and was a success.
In the next four years he became famous for his published stories «The Son of the Wolf», «Children of the Frost», «A Daughter of the Snows» and others.
In 1902 London visited the capital of England. He spent much time in the slums and, as a result, later he wrote «The People of the Aleyss» (1903), where he showed a horrible picture of the poverty of English workers. His works «The War of the Classes» (1905), «Revolution» (1908) and «The Iron Heel» (1907) were written under the influence of the Russian Revolution of 1905.
The years (1905-1909) were most successful for Jack London. He published «White Fang», «The South Sea Tales», «Martin Iden» and many other works which brought the author great fame. In «Martin Iden» he used many facts from his own life. In 1916 Jack London died.
(1862 – 1910)
The real name of the writer was William Sydney Porter. He was born in Greensboro, North California, USA, in the family of a doctor. He was brought up by his aunt because his mother died when he was a small boy. After finishing school at the age of fifteen, Porter worked as a clerk for five years in his uncle`s chemist shop in Greensboro. Then he went to Texas because he wanted to see new places. For two years he worked on a farm, then he became a clerk at an office and at last got a job in a small bank. During this period he studied languages and became interested in literature. Soon he married and his daughter was born, Porter was a happy husband and a father, but his happiness did not last long.
One day a theft of a thousand dollars was discovered at the bank where he worked. Though it was not he who had taken the money, Porter left the town and went to Central America where he stayed for some time. But when he heard that his wife was very ill, he returned home and was sentenced to three years of prison.
After his wife`s death Porter very often thought about his little daughter living with her relatives. She was told that her father had gone very far away and wouldn’t return soon.
To get some money for a Christmas present for his daughter, Porter decided to write a story and sent it to one of the other American magazines. The story
«Whistling Dick`s Christmas Present» was published in 1899, and his daughter received a Christmas present. Porter had signed the story «O. Henry» - the first pen-name that came into his head. While still in prison, he published many other stories.
In 1901 when he was released from prison, he settled in New-York, and continued writing short stories for different magazines. Very soon he became one of the most popular short-story writers in America. O. Henry’s stories won great popularity and were translated into many languages. Most of them have unexpected endings and the reader is always taken surprise.
During the short period of his literary activity O. Henry wrote 273 short stories and one novel «Cabbages and Kings» (1904).
In his stories he describes amusing incidents of everyday life in large cities, on the farms, and on the roads of America. In most of his stories he doesn’t touch upon important social problems, but the author`s sympathy is with the common people of America, whose life he knew very well. His greatest wish was that people should be happy.
Theodore Dreiser was born in a small town in the State of Indiana, USA, in a poor family. After his school years he had to support himself by doing different jobs. He worked at a laundry, then for several years he was a newspaper reporter in Chicago, Cleeveland and Pittsburgh. Later he moved to New York, where he found work as a magazine editor.
From the very beginning of his literary career, he fought against the writers who idealized America, and he wrote works of his own to tell the truth about it. But no publisher wanted to publish his books, and his ideals were criticized. Dreiser`s life was a long fight for realistic literature.
In his first two novels «Sister Carrie» (1900) and «Jennie Gerard» (1911) Dreiser described the life of two young women in the capitalist world.
Three of his works, «The Financier» (1912) , «The Titan» (1914) and «The Stoic» (which was published only after his death in 1947), give the whole life story of an American capitalist showing the ways of making big wealth.
In 1927 Dreiser was a guest of Russia. He described his visit in «Dreiser Looks at Russia» (1928 ).
The economic crisis of 1929 - 1933 brought great misery to the American working people. In «Tragic America» (1931) Dreiser says that in order to end misery and exploitation American people should follow the example of Russia.
Besides the works mentioned above, Dreiser also published several collections of short stories.
Dreiser’s literary work occupies an important place in American critical realism. His novels and short stories give a true picture of American society and its influence upon the life of common people.